THE RITE OF SPRING:
A People's Stravinsky
A COMMUNITY-CENTERED APPROACH
The Philharmonic Orchestra and The ARTS FISSION Company will pursue a production of The Rite of Spring that brings renewed relevance to its Singaporean audience. This will be fulfilled through a community-centred performance approach that involves non-conventional performers alongside the musicians and dancers of both companies.
Amidst notions of music and dance as “high art” in society, this project will go against the grain to relocate a “People’s Stravinsky” - grounded in the collaboration between community performers, musicians and dancers, integrating the creative energies of all in an inter-disciplinary and multi-generational artistic endeavor.
Engagement and involvement of communities include:
- Workshops for seniors at NTUC Eldercare and Henderson Senior Citizens’ Home, and AWWA Seniors Activity Centre and
AWWA Community Home for Senior Citizens
- Seniors performing in The Rite of Spring: A People’s Stravinsky
- Children from ARTS FISSION’s dance programme performing in the production
- Seamstresses/mothers sewing individually made costumes for seniors, children and dancers
- Volunteers from Senior Citizens’ Activity Centres and Homes, and the community
- Student volunteers from LASALLE-SIA College of the Arts (Dance Department) and Ngee Ann Polytechnic
(Arts Business Management)
- A photography showcase curated and contributed by community photographers
*The Rite of Spring : A Community Photography Showcase will be held at:
a. Sat 15 June – Fri 21 June, 11am-9pm at the Library@Esplanade
b. Sat 22 June, 6.30pm at the Esplanade Concert Hall Stalls Foyer (open only to ticket holders of the performance)
- There will be a talk by Maestro Lim Yau and Choreographer Angela Liong on Sun 16 June, 3 – 4 pm at library@esplanade. In a highly interacative session, they will share their thoughts on their creative process as well as introduce elements of the production such as the costumes, music and creative movement. Admission is free and is open to the public.